Congratulations! You’ve just found out you are pregnant… so now what?
Here are a few tips to stay safe at the beginning stages of your pregnancy:
- Get in touch with your GP to confirm the pregnancy.
- Get in touch with POGS to make your first appointment!
- If you smoke, now’s the time to quit. If you need help to stop smoking, ask your doctors.
- Avoid alcohol as it can harm your baby’s development.
- Make sure you get some early nights each week and take time out to rest, as early pregnancy can be exhausting!
- Keep on moving! There’s no need to do HIIT sessions, but low intensity exercise such as a daily walk can be a great way to stay active.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet. For tips read: Healthy Eating Ideas
- Try and avoid foods that are high in sugar, salt and fat.
- Avoid eating raw or undercooked meat or eggs, unpasteurised milk, liver, pâté & soft cheeses.
- Be caffeine wise: the current recommendation is that pregnant women have no more than 200mg of caffeine a day. This is equivalent to two mugs of instant coffee or four cups of medium-strength tea or hot chocolate. More info: Coffee While Pregnant
- Ask your doctor about supplements and ensure you’re getting the right ones. More info: Folate in Pregnancy
- Have a cat? Avoid changing the Litter Box.
- Know what medicines are safe and talk to a health professional before taking any new medication or stopping any current medication.
- Stay hydrated – drink plenty of water!
- Check that your vaccinations are up to date.
- Do your pelvic floor exercises (For tips read: Pelvic Floor Exercises)
- Tell your employer early on if you think your workplace is not safe for a pregnant woman.
Call POGS on (08) 6270 0123 or email: email@example.com for more advice or if you need to make an appointment.